How can the following script error, seen during the startup/launch of SolidWorks on Windows 7, be resolved, "The value of the property "getVertical" is null or undefined, not a Function object"?
This issue has been found to be caused by fairly recent (November 2013) Windows Updates that include the installation of Internet Explorer 11 (IE11).
At the time of this writing, this version of Internet Explorer is not supported for use with SolidWorks. Please refer to the SolidWorks System Requirements page for a list of supported versions.
Uninstalling IE11 has been found to resolve the script error.
1. Go to the Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
2. In the left pane, click "View Installed Updates".
3. Find IE11 in the list (search for Internet Explorer to expedite this)
4. Right click and choose "Uninstall" (or single left click and choose "Uninstall" from the button above"
5. After the uninstall is complete, restart the computer
After restarting, your previous version of Internet Explorer will be restored.
It is suggested to modify your Windows Update settings (Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update) to install manually in order to avoid a recurrence of this issue.
For another tip on SolidWorks and it's interaction with common software platforms, click here to read another post on the SolidNotes blog.