As you may or may not know, Composer has been “re-branded” as SolidWorks Composer instead of 3DVIA Composer.
In the past, you had to install the SolidWorks Importer with your 3DVIA Composer install if you did not have SolidWorks installed on the computer you were using.
Now you need the “SolidWorks Translator” if you don’t have SolidWorks installed on your computer. The installation is a little different now also.
First thing you will notice is that Composer is part of the 2014 SolidWorks DVD (or available for download from your Customer Portal Account).
Here is the process to install SolidWorks Composer on a computer that will not have SolidWorks installed:
- Insert the SolidWorks DVD, and when you get the window below, select “Individual (on this computer)”.
- The next screen will give you the ability to enter a serial number for the software you are going to install. Make sure that you do not enter anything in the serial number area for SolidWorks. Then enter your serial number for Composer.
- The next screen will give you the ability to change the “Products”. Click the “Change” option circled below.
- On the next screen, make sure that SolidWorks Composer is checked and expand the SolidWorks Composer options to show the SolidWorks Translator. Select that box to install the SolidWorks Translator so Composer can import SolidWorks native files. You can uncheck every other option on this screen and then only Composer will be installed on this computer.
- After this, follow the prompts until the software is finished installing.
You will now have the ability to import native SolidWorks files into Composer.
Click to read another post on installation: How to Download the Entire SolidWorks DVD for Future Use
Click to read another post on SolidWorks Composer: Blank Views in SolidWorks Composer?