Has your company updated their logo? Is the company logo in all your drawing title blocks? How do you update that logo on all your drawings?
There are two ways to accomplish this depending on if your original objects are linked to an external file:
Option 1: If the Original Object is Not Linked to an External File--
- Create the new image file of the company logo in
an image editing program. Hopefully, there is a file that is close to what you
need and you can modify that.
- As a note, it is best to make the size of this image file be the size you want it when it is inserted into the drawing template (for example, 2 inch by 2 inch). This means that after you insert the image, you do not need to grab the image and scale it at all inside SolidWorks.
- Open your drawing template file and insert the
new logo. To do this, click on Insert=>Object.
When the following window opens, select “create from file” then browse to your
new logo file. Then check the “Link” box to make sure the drawing template is
connected to the original file. Place the new logo where needed.
- Just as a note, this means that the original image file needs to stay in the folder selected. If the image file has been deleted or moved, the image that shows on the drawing will be what was last saved (not necessarily the correct one). I suggest that the image file is placed somewhere on the network that everyone has access to because any user that opens the drawing template needs to be able to access the image file.
- Save the drawing template file and the sheet format file with the linked image file.
- Open each drawing file that exists and manually change out the image file with the new logo image file. Yes, every drawing file that exists will need to be opened, modified, and then resaved.
Option 2: If the Object is Already Linked to an External File--
- Modify the image file that is saved on the
network as the drawing template logo file.
- Make sure that the size of the logo is the same as the original. This will insure that when the new image file is automatically updated in the drawing, the size of the image on the drawing will not change (and possibility move or cover some other text or line on the drawing template).
- Have SolidWorks
Task Scheduler update all drawings automatically. Or, when you open the drawing
it will automatically update the image file. Then, when you save the drawing,
it will have the new company logo (you do not need to manually change
If you found this post helpful, check out these other posts on SolidWorks and Drawings: